Sunday 27 January 2013

A New Lining

Over the weekend I have been working on a waistcoat lining. The design is not quite finished, but the drawing is, so I have posted it below. As you can see I have gone for a Mughal style composition squashed into the form of a Paisley pattern. So far so good, but if you look closer you will see that I have subverted it with all sorts of computer cables, satellite dishes and -perhaps too obviously- an ipad. What I am trying to get across is rather contradictory: The story behind the wool I use and the imagery in my linings and labels, focuses on a romantic ideal of the Hindu Kush: high mountains, rugged hospitable people and timeless, pre industrial crafts. All this is true, but I am only able to bring it together and sell it to a Western market because of communications technology. People in Chitral may lead lives steeped in tradition, but they also text and tweet and send facebook messages, that's how I can do business with them from the other side of the world.




With some colour added...








No comments:

Post a Comment